Fashion Star reminded me of a modern day HSN. I fear my Tuesday nights will be spent glued to a TV with credit card in hand. It’s a clever concept. Entertainment, Competition, and Shopping. In case you missed it, here’s how it works:
- Emerging designers create 3 variations of the same look. (i.e. 3 different colors of a shift dress)
- They present their designs to the mentors and judges via a mini runway show
- The mentors critique their designs
- The buys bid to exclusively purchase their design
- The winner buyer puts the product on sale online when the show ends at 11pm EST and in stores the next day
- One designer gets eliminated
Elle Macpherson is the host and opened the show with a runway show of her lingerie line.
Who are the mentors?
Nicole Richie was brutal last night. None of her critiques were positive in nature. She is ultimately playing the Simon Cowell character.
Who are the buyers?
A shift dress by designer Sarah Parrott retails: $19.95
A blazer by designer Nzimiro Oputa retails: $49.95
Asymmetrical Jersey Tunic by Lizzie Parker retails: $79
Kimono-Sleeve Maxi Caftan Dress by Nikki Poulos retails: $89
Sleeveless Halter Dress by Edmond Newton retails: $99
Zipper Mini Skirt by Orly Shani retails: $350
The designs were not over the top but I think the show is worth watching next week. Plus I snagged a few items for myself!