The inconsistent weather has left many of us frazzled and fried. You may be working hard to maintain your winter hair and skin routines, but between windburns an sunburns, how can our bodies keep up? Instead of buying loads of expensive and chemical-infused products that can have negative long-term effects, stop into your local grocery store or organic market to find the best ways to rehydrate! The primary produce in which you will want to invest include:
**before trying any of these remedies, please be aware of any food allergies or sensitivities! When trying a mask or mixture for the first time, sample a small portion on the back of your hand an let it sit for 5 minutes to ensure that you are not at risk of irritation or allergic reaction**
OLIVE OIL or COCONUT OIL
- Coat the ends of your hair with either oil and let it set for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse out well with warm water. Thisdoubles as a rejuvenation for our hair and an oil massage for your hands an cuticles!
- Add a thin layer of either oil before proceeding with your moisturizing routine- not only do the good fatty acids help to replenish dried out skin cells, but the antioxidants will be soaked right in by thirsty skin.
- Chic Tip: A quality, organic olive oil can be used as makeup remover before our facewash routine! Store-bought makeup removers can have perfumes and pretty additions that are ultimately extra fluff an stuff for your face to have to fight. Just be sure that the olive oil you are using is of high quality an that you cleanse your skin after removing your makeup.
- Apply a layer of honey to the lips before bed or after a meal, and they’ll be soft and saved in no time!
- Massage a light coat on cracked heels an dry elbows to kiss those patches goodbye.
- Pour into hot water in your bathtub or in a large bowl in the bathroom to soak your body or just your feet for 10 minutes.
- Add chamomile for a truly relaxing an reviving soak!
- 10-15 minutes before you plan to shower, massage an egg yolk into your scalp and hair. Leave up in a shower cap or fastened with a plastic hair clip until you are ready to wash.
- If you have a little extra time, combine the egg yolk with half of an avocado (mashed) and 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil. Use this mixture 20-25minutes before you shower, so the hair mask really has time to soak in all of the protein, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and other natural nutrients!
- Separate the yolk from the egg white to conduct a simple 2-step egg mask. During all steps, be cautious of sensitive eye and mouth areas and avoid getting egg in your hair line. Remove all makeup and coat face with the egg white. Once the egg white mask is dry, rinse with warm water, pat face dry, and coat face with the egg yolk. Let the yoke set for minutes, rinse off entirely with warm water, and pat face dry. Splash with cold water, and pat dry once more for a soft, glowing complexion.
- The healthy enzymes in greek yogurt make it an excellent yet gentle exfoliant and cleanser!
- Mix with ripened, mashed papaya for a conditioning face mask.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 cup of brown sugar to make a body scrub
NATURALLY CHIC COMBOS
- Equal parts brown sugar with any essential or cooking oil makes an excellent lip or body scrub. You use brown sugar because the moist grains are more forgiving that their confectioner counterparts, which leave micro-scratches instead of pleasant exfoliation.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to hair masks an body scrubs for additional vitamins and minerals.
- For chapped and wind burnt skin, combine an egg yolk, 1 tsp honey, an 1 tsp aloe vera gel for a gentle mask. Because honey can be tougher on the face, do not rub this mask into your skin. Apply gently and let it work for 5-10minutes, then rinse with warm water and pat dry.
DON’T FORGET TO DRINK UP
- Without stepping foot in a store, start with a big glass of water! It is important to be hydrated in the inside, and it shows on the outside if you are not.
- Teas an fruit-infused water work as well, but avoid sugar or highly caffeinated drinks
- Have a glass of water with frozen berries, a slice of citrus, or cucumber cubes if you want to pump up your cup
- Castille Soap- an olive oil based soap that is much softer on the body and washes away more thoroughly
- Quality olive oil- not just for cooking, purchase a smaller bottle for your bathroom
- Cozy bamboo-fiber bathrobe- you’ll want to wrap up in something just as soft as you now are!
So be naturally chic and give your body what it really needs.
Did we miss any of the natural remedies that you swear by? Let us know below!