If you think back to Spring/Summer 2013 fashion weeks, then you will remember that the trend in hems is to not follow any single, specific trend and to play with lengths of all kinds! It’s not every season that the world of fashion asks you to cast the rule book aside and be creative with whatever lengths you have in your artillery or have been dying to try. What a blue moon, so let’s embrace it! Don’t fear that you’re taking major fashion risks- mixing it up is the name of the game.
To send you on your creative way, here are some ideas for places to start when choosing how you’ll embrace the opportunity:
- Opacity: As the weather gets warmer, play with longer pants and skirts but in sheer, translucent fabrics with linings or shorter pieces underneath.
- Layers and Trims: Find or rock your own pieces with flattering layers (like our current favorite, the peplum!) and fun trimmings. Have a tired pair of capris or shorts? Why not DIY them with a lace or sheer ribbon around the cuff!
- Cropped and Rolled: Turn up the cuff of your skinnies a couple of times for a cute cropped pant, or roll the cuff of your favorite boyfriend jeans for a rougher look. One pair of pants can be used at a different length for a different look every day of the week (however, we cannot condone the overuse of pants without a visit or two to the laundry room)!
- Heel Heights: Be mindful of length when choosing the most flattering shoe for the outfit. A good rule of thumb is that the longer the hem, the higher the heel. For example, flats or kitten heels paired with shorts or capris and heels or wedges with cropped pants or flowing skirts keep your full look in CHIC proportions.
- Higher Waistlines: For a more dramatic length, try a high-waisted pant or maxi skirt. The magic of these high-waisted pieces is that, if you are in the right size and color, they make your legs look longer, your tummy flatter, and your waist tinier! Also, playing with a higher waistline gives your look a fun retro-chic feel.
- Stick to Solids: If you have high-low hemlines, layers, rolled cuffs, mixed opacities and more, keep it CHIC by sticking to solid colors and letting the details in the trim and style be the center of attention. A printed pant or capri is still fair game, but the busyness may take away from your look if not properly executed! Try playing with monochrome or emerald to keep your look on point with 2013.
Remember, these are just some starting points to get you experimenting. Start dreaming up the perfect look based around fun a length, hem, or trim to take your spring style to new heights!
What will you do with this creative liberty? Let us know what CHIC lengths you’ll be going to this spring in the comments below!