“I hate dresses and skirts but my boyfriend wants me to dress up when we go out. How can I please us both?”
Going out is always one thing every girl looks forward to every weekend. However, dressing up in skirts and dresses isn’t for everyone. Girls with a more edgy, tomboy or menswear inspired style may tend to stray away for these items. Luckily there are plenty of dressy alternatives to dresses and skirts that are in style and can be worked into just about any wardrobe.
- Skinny Pants: Skinny Pants are a great option for any date. The slim cut makes them very figure flattering since they hug the body. This style is available in jeans or dress pants. Choose a dark color or wash such as black or navy for a nighttime look. They also can be worn with a variety of different dressy shoes such as ankle or over the knee boots, flats, pumps, wedge sandals or dressy flat sandals. To balance out the look choose a looser fitting dressy top or jacket.
- Leggings: This style can also work as a more comfortable option for night. There are a few key things to remember when choosing a look that incorporates leggings. First choose a style of leggings that are dark and a bit dressier. They should be made of a fabric other than cotton such as a stretch denim, polyester blend or faux leather style rather than cotton which tends to look more casual and are better reserved for a daytime look. Choose darker colors for night such as black, dark burgundy, amethyst or navy. Avoid leggings that are too sheer or they may end up looking more like tights rather than pants. Incorporate a long looser top or sweater than covers the back of the leggings unless they have pockets on the back which gives the illusion that they look more like pants. Zippers also dress them up and make them more appropriate for a date.
- Dressy Ankle Pants: This is a newer style of pants but these can look great for a date. These pants have the look and feel of dress pants but the shorter length helps to keep them fashion forward and fun. They are available in a variety of bright colors for spring including red, yellow and cobalt blue. If choosing a brightly colored pair a darker colored top makes them more appropriate for a nighttime look. These pants look great with high heeled booties, peep-toe or wedge sandals or ballet flats. To make them date appropriate choose a dressy top such as a blouse or v neck sweater.
- Dressy Shorts: Shorts are a great alternative to pants for the warmer months. To make them date appropriate, choose a style made with a dressy material rather than denim. They are available in a variety of colors and patterns. They also are available in both high waisted and regular styles so there is a style to flatter every figure. Pair the shorts with a vneck top and blazer or a blouse.
- Sheer Blouses: The sheer material of this type of top makes it a bit sexier to wear out for a date if dresses aren’t your style. These tops are available in a variety of different colors and styles. Some really cute ones have ruffles at the collar or tie at the waist. To wear this top pair it with a matching bandeau bra or neutral tank underneath. This top can easily be paired with skinny jeans, dressy shorts or dressy ankle pants. All you need are some wedges or boots and you have a great date outfit that is just as stylish as a dress or skirt.
- Blazers: These jackets help to dress up a pair of skinny pants or jeans for night. Look for a style that is tailored closely to the body but is still loose enough to fit a top underneath They come in a variety of different colors. Try an embellished or printed style for a unique look.
- Dressy Tunic: A tunic top is a great alternative to a dress for night since they are both longer length garments. Look for a style that is loose but not too boxy for the most figure flattering look. To balance out the loose fitting proportion, pair this top with skinny jeans or leggings.
- Dressy Dolman Top: This top can work well for a date. The dolman top is very figure flattering and looks great with skinny jeans or pants. Try one with an open back for a dressier look.
To look great for a date you don’t have to have to choose a dress or skirt if those options are too girly for your style. Just choose some nice figure flattering bottoms with a dressy top or jacket and you can look just as dressy and stylish.
Do you have a fashion, beauty, or natural hair question for Mz Mahogany Chic? Use the form below to Ask CHIC and we’ll post your Q&A in an upcoming article!