Seeing black and white lately? You should, the Monochrome Trend is in full force this season. And guess what, the trend is not just for your clothes. Get on trend by adding some black and white to your nails. Stripes, squiggly lines, triangles, spots, dots and other intricate designs are a number of ways to spice up your nails.
Here’s an easy tutorial to get you started:
- Base & Top Coats
- White Nail Polish (Essie Marshmallow works great)
- Black Nail Polish
- Scotch Tape
- Apply a base coat followed by the white nail polish. Let dry completely to the touch.
- Prepare narrow 2mm wide strips of Scotch Magic tape using a sharp pair of scissors. Rest the edge of the strips on a clean object so they can be easily picked up later.
- When the white polish is dry, arrange the strips in your chosen pattern on all of the nails. For this tutorial, we’ve chosen to use opposing diagonal lines to create a striking monochrome look. Make sure they’re smooth and in full contact with the nail but don’t push too hard! Use tweezers if you find it too fiddly with your fingers.
- Once the tape is applied, paint over black nail polish making sure you cover both white undercoat and the tape.
While the black polish is still wet, slowly remove the tape on the black nail piece by piece using tweezers. Have a tissue handy to put the used pieces of tape on to. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for each nail one by one. Leave until touch dry and then apply a top coat.
- If necessary, dip a small makeup brush into acetone and use this to clean up around the nail to create clean smooth lines.
Need some inspiration? Here are more designs to try!
Do you love the monochrome trend? Tweet us your nails @mzmahoganychic