The Fashion Awards MD 2013 is just around the corner, and in our continuing series highlighting some of this years nominees, we sat down with celebrity and commercial hairstylist Cherelle Renee!
With her work spanning video and print, inspiration spanning art and fashion, and a future headed only on the rise, Cherelle Renee gave us the scoop on her business, her brand, her life’s passion- hair.
Where does your passion and inspiration come from?
Cherelle: In school I majored in visual arts, so as a teenager I always wanted to be an artist. I used my love for art and combined that with the art of hair. So I guess the story behind my passion and inspiration is my love for art.
How has fashion influence your designs?
Cherelle: I love staying on top of the latest trends, especially with celebrities, which inspires me to start my own trends. It’s not always about the hair, you have to make sure that the wardrobe and make up are cohesive so that you can match the perfect hairstyle with the rest of the look.
What are your favorite styles and looks to do?
Cherelle: I love thinking outside of the box when it comes to styling. I like doing styles that no one has done and recreating what’s already been done. As a haircare specialist, hair care is my #1 priority. [Some of my] other specialities [include] advance haircutting and coloring, weaves/extensions, Brazilian keratin treatments, and many more. I literally do EVERYTHING and I don’t have one favorite.
Who are some of the celebrity clientele you have worked with and where has your worked been published?
Cherelle: I’ve styled celebrity designer Stevie Boi, R&B artist Lil Mo, Tweet, British singer Neon Hitch, Lisa Wu Hartwell from Real Housewives of Atlanta, America’s Next Top Model Angelea Preston and Bianca Golden , and many more. You can find some of my work in PaperCut Magazine, Tomboy Quartley, Style Q hair magazine, and Citi Trendz DMV hair magazine.
That’s quite a list! What is the dream for the brand, how do you envision the future?
Cherelle: Since I’ve mastered every category in the hair field, my dream is to continue to expand my horizons with platform artistry, celebrity styling, hair shows, and eventually open my own salon, with my own color line, hair care line, Brazilian keratin line, and hair extension line. I want to see Cherelle Renee branded everywhere to take care of all your hair care needs.
Summer fashion is here, what are some hair trends you are excited for this season?
Cherelle: As a color specialist, I am most excited about the new trendy hair colors. I love doing color and getting clients the most drastic and unique colors they thought they could never get, all while obtaining strong healthy hair.
Speaking of healthy hair, what are 5 easy-to-do hair care tips one can do to achieve a healthy mane?
- Always use a satin or silk scarf if tying your hair up at night to maintain all of the hair’s natural oils to prevent dryness.
- Drink lots of water! Prevents dryness in the hair and scalp.
- Use the proper products for your type of hair and condition. Meaning, if you have natural hair that’s colored, all of your products should be color treated/color safe, etc. When you wash your hair, did it ever squeak while you were rinsing your shampoo out? That’s not supposed to happen! [This] means your products are too harsh on your hair and you have stripped all of the hair’s natural oils out, and now you will need a deep penetrating treatment to restore the moisture back into the cuticle.
- Whether you hair is natural or not, you should NOT flat iron or use heat in your hair more than twice a week. Your flat iron, curling irons, blow dryers, etc should all have an adjustable temperature setting. Adjust the temperature according to the condition of the hair.
- Always consult a Hair Consultant or Hair Care Specialist . Nowadays just because [one has] a license doesn’t mean they know what they are doing or are hair care specialists. Leave certain things to the professionals!
There’s no doubt Cherelle Renee is a very talented, and skilled, hair care extraordinaire!
To book Cherelle and find out more info, please visit http://www.cherellerenee.net/
All photos courtesy of Cherelle Renee